Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Introduction to Covidence
The D. Samuel Gottesman Library is excited to offer an unlimited institutional license to Covidence to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine community.
Librarians at the D. Samuel Gottesman Library can assist with planning, conducting, and reporting systematic reviews and other types of research reviews.
To learn more about conducting systematic reviews at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, visit our Systematic Reviews Research Guide or email a librarian to request individual or group assistance.
What is Covidence?
Covidence is a web-based tool that will help you through the process of screening your references, data extraction, and keeping track of your work. It is particularly useful for researchers developing a systematic review, meta-analysis, or clinical guideline.
In Covidence, you can:
- Import references - Covidence works seamlessly with your favorite citation managers like EndNote, Zotero, RefWorks, Mendeley or any tool that support RIS, CSV or PubMed XML formats. Covidence can automatically remove duplicates for you.
- Screen title & abstract - Breeze through screening with keyword highlighting and a lightning quick interface. Covidence keeps full records of who voted and supports single or dual screening.
- Bulk PDF import - Transfer PDFs stored in your citation manager to Covidence in a few clicks.
- Screen full text - Decide quickly on studies in full text. Capture reasons for exclusion and any notes so you can resolve any disagreements quickly, with a click of a button.
- Create forms - Be in control and stay focused on your PICO question. Customizable extraction forms mean you only spend time extracting what you need.
- Customize risk of bias - Automatically populate your risk of bias tables by highlighting and commenting on text directly in your PDF.
- Conduct data extraction - Extract data efficiently with a side-by-side view of your customized form and PDF. Then, when you are done, easily compare your form with other reviewers.
- Export - Covidence exports to all the common formats so you can continue your review in your preferred software.
- Collaborate - Invite other reviewers (including external colleagues) to work with you on the project.