Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Install Word Plug-in
Go to the Word Processor Plugins page. Choose the most recent version of the plugins if you're installing Zotero for the first time.
Word for Mac/Windows users:
- Close Word.
- Click the link labeled "Install the Word for Windows Plugin" or "Install the Word for Mac Plugin."
- When you see the message "Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer," click Allow.
- Click Allow and Install now as above.
- Restart Firefox when prompted.
(If you're using Zotero Standalone, you don't need to install Word toolbars; they are included with Zotero Standalone.)
The Zotero Toolbar allows you to insert and edit citations and bibliographies, set your document preferences and remove field codes.
- Place your cursor in your Word file exactly where you want the citation to appear.
- Click the Add-ins menu tab in Word 2007 to get to the Zotero toolbar. The first button on the toolbar is the Insert Citation button.To add a citation, click the first button ("Insert Citation") on the toolbar. Select the reference you want to cite and click OK. Zotero will add the citation at your cursor.
- At the end of your paper, click the third button ("Insert Bibliography"). Your bibliography will appear, and new citations will be added automatically. Change bibliographic styles with the last button on the toolbar ("Set Doc Prefs").
Creating a Quick Bibliography
It's easy to create a bibliography from your Zotero library.
Select the references or collections you want to include. Hold the control key (or Command on a Mac) and click to select multiple items. Right-click one of the selected items and choose Create Bibliography.
Choose the bibliographic style you want, select Copy to Clipboard, click OK and paste into your word processor.